An Inconvenient Truth. I haven't seen it yet, but all the press about global warming (whether you believe the stats or not), got me thinking about what I do to help our environment. I'm ashamed to say, not much! Although I'm a "nature girl" my environmental activism has been limited to teaching my children to respect the earth and walking around the house turning off lights others have left on. I CAN DO BETTER! So, for the next year (starting April 1/07), I will do my best to research, learn and/or implement one activity per week, that will help reduce my family's carbon footprint. When I informed my family, my eldest asked "are we going to be Amish...are we going to be hippies? My answers, of course, were "no" and "no", but it did make me think there may be a lot of people who believe "going green" is like that. That is, doing without and hugging trees. I also don't want to go broke being kind to our environment. I will be seeking out resources that offer reasonably priced goods/supplies so we can make some important changes, but still send the kids to college. I want this to be an enjoyable process, which is why I am calling this blog Going Green Painlessly (be aware, during this journey I will drop any practice that becomes torture!). I'm fairly confident I'll find a nice balance! Wish me luck! Debbie

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Week 4 - EARTH DAY!!

Today's post is a two-fer since we have Earth Day and Arbor Day falling in the same week (at least in PA - Arbor Day varies from state to state). Earth Day was years in the making beginning in 1962 when it's founder Senator Gaylord Nelson had an idea for JFK to go on a conservation tour in 1963. The tour's purpose was to bring the state of the environment into the political limelight. It didn't work, but it was as Nelson stated, "the germ of the idea that would eventually flower into Earth Day". Seven years later on April 22, "over 20 million people participated in what is known as the largest grassroots environmental movement in U.S. history! Since then, more and more people have joined in the celebrations every April. Now more than 500 million people in over 180 countries participate in Earth Day activities! " To learn more about Earth Day and it's purpose, you can visit earthday.org.

Today is just perfect for reinforcing any environmental lessons or activities the kids have been doing at school this past week. Or for taking a few moments to talk with them about the earth, it's gifts, and our responsibility for taking care of it - every day.

There are a myriad of ways in which to celebrate Earth Day. You can:

Honor Arbor Day by planting a tree. It doesn't sound like making a significant contribution, but look at the benefits:

  • Trees take in carbon dioxide and emit oxygen. Apparently if every household planted one tree, we would cut global CO2 (that's carbon dioxide) by a billion pounds a year. That equals 100,000 cars.
  • Planting 3 shade trees around your home, could reduce your air conditioning bill by 50%. They can also act as wind breaks keeping your home warmer in the winter.
  • Trees absorb noise pollution and filter pollutants out of the air.
  • Trees control erosion.
  • Groups of trees (aka forests) create eco-systems and make soil.

Join the National Arbor Foundation at arborday.org for $10.00. They will send you 10 little trees for your donation (granted the trees/sticks are only 6 - 12 inches so patience is necessary). If you can't use the trees you can send them to someone else, or even an organization. Maybe you can plant them in a neighborhood park. Just know that your $10 will go to supporting the Foundation's tree planting programs, education, conferences, seminars, and re-foresting.

Have your family or organization clean-up. Sadly there is always a lot of trash along our roadways, in our parks, along our rivers and lakes, around our playing fields, etc. Choose a place and pick up what you can.

Plant/plan a habitat garden for butterflies or birds.

Go for a hike and/or have a picnic.

If possible leave the car at home.

Visit a zoo.

Share what you know!

Lastly, say a prayer of thanks and one for wisdom. Be thankful we have decent water to drink, our soil is not contaminated and our air (although it could always be better) is breathable. Be thankful for people (like Rachel Carson RachelCarson.org, Senator Nelson, Al Gore et al.) who persevered and took action so we could be made aware of important issues. Most importantly, be thankful we have the power to change and to do better when we know better. That's what I want my children to know - that this is entirely in our hands.

Happy Earth Day Everybody!

1 comment:

Marvel said...

I just dropped by to check out your blog and have added you to my blogroll. You're an inspiration!