An Inconvenient Truth. I haven't seen it yet, but all the press about global warming (whether you believe the stats or not), got me thinking about what I do to help our environment. I'm ashamed to say, not much! Although I'm a "nature girl" my environmental activism has been limited to teaching my children to respect the earth and walking around the house turning off lights others have left on. I CAN DO BETTER! So, for the next year (starting April 1/07), I will do my best to research, learn and/or implement one activity per week, that will help reduce my family's carbon footprint. When I informed my family, my eldest asked "are we going to be Amish...are we going to be hippies? My answers, of course, were "no" and "no", but it did make me think there may be a lot of people who believe "going green" is like that. That is, doing without and hugging trees. I also don't want to go broke being kind to our environment. I will be seeking out resources that offer reasonably priced goods/supplies so we can make some important changes, but still send the kids to college. I want this to be an enjoyable process, which is why I am calling this blog Going Green Painlessly (be aware, during this journey I will drop any practice that becomes torture!). I'm fairly confident I'll find a nice balance! Wish me luck! Debbie

Sunday, May 13, 2007

Week 7 - VARIETY IS THE SPICE OF LIFE

Last week I learned something interesting - it seems the US imports about 70% of it's food. First we're dependent on others for gas, and now food (fuel of another sort). This is obvious when you take a look at the labels on produce in the grocery store. You'll find: product of Chile, product of Peru, product of Mexico etc. It's not such a bad thing having asparagus available all year round, right?

But there is something else taking place in the produce section that may be cause for concern. Have you ever wondered why we have a choice of say, 3 types of apples, oranges, or tomatoes and maybe a choice of 2 types of cucs, etc. These limited choices are what commercial seed companies (there are about 5 major ones) and large growers are making available to us, but they are by no stretch of the imagination what is possible. Here in lies the root of the agricultural biodiversity (variety) vs. monoculture (one crop) debate.

Seed companies and large growers strive to create a product that is completely disease resistant, can be grown as cheaply as possible for the largest yields and can withstand travel cross country (or internationally). As a result they focus on a single variety (even going so far as to genetically engineer one) and this is what creates a monoculture. In fact, according to thegreenguide.com "63 percent of Native American crop varieties have disappeared since Europeans arrived on the continent". So maybe you're thinking, what's wrong with specializing? LOTS! First there are all the ecological ramifications like soil depletion, the effects on wildlife, and the overuse of crop specific pesticides which can lead to mutant diseases and the poisoning of groundwater, just to name a few. Then think what can happen if something does attack a particular crop! Remember the Irish potato famine, the European wine grape blight (eek!), or the Boll Weevil's effect on our Cotton industry in the early 20th century? Should I even get into how these seed companies are controlling the price of seed and even their use by obtaining patents for seed (when anything comes under the control of a few, the results are usually negative for us, the consumer). This is a worldwide trend that really needs to be examined. Although proponents of monoculture insist it is perfectly safe (and it may well be), I for one, do not want my and my family's dietary sustenance reliant upon a few crops that are grown in a few places!

Speaking of family, let's look at another major reason to promote agricultural biodiversity - our health! The greater the variety of fruits and vegetables we consume, the more likely we are to get all the nutrients we need. So how do we do this in the face of narrowing choices? We plant a garden of course and it doesn't have to be a big one, it can be a few pots. The key is to look for heirloom plants and seeds. Heirlooms are varieties that have been passed down through generations. They are beautiful in color and appearance. They may not look as "perfect" as what we see in the grocery store (we can live without the waxy coating anyway), but they also won't taste mealy or lack flavor. As a matter of fact, flavor is the number one reason given for growing heirlooms. They will look real and taste splendid! Here are some websites that offer heirloom seeds and in some cases, plants:
  1. tastefulgarden.com
  2. heirloomtomatoplants.com
  3. johnnyseeds.com
  4. seedsavers.org
  5. seedsofchange.com
  6. heirloomseeds.com
  7. victoryseeds.com
  8. reneesgarden.com

You can also check out your local garden centers (and even discount stores) for heirloom varieties. I'm fairly confident you will be able to find at least one type of tomato.

If you want to really get serious about things, you can learn how to save your seeds so you can have them from year to year. Check out seedsave.org and click on "free online seed saving instructions". It will give you information on how to save seed from 27 common vegetables. I think it would be really nice to pass down seeds from a favorite vegetable (or even flower for that matter). True, it's kind of old-fashioned, but I think we could use a little of that these days.

So whether you save heirloom seed or support companies that do, whether you grow your own heirloom produce or buy from someone who does, you can feel proud that you help preserve our agricultural biodiversity - our agricultural history. At least in this case it's true, variety is the spice of life!






No comments: