An Inconvenient Truth. I haven't seen it yet, but all the press about global warming (whether you believe the stats or not), got me thinking about what I do to help our environment. I'm ashamed to say, not much! Although I'm a "nature girl" my environmental activism has been limited to teaching my children to respect the earth and walking around the house turning off lights others have left on. I CAN DO BETTER! So, for the next year (starting April 1/07), I will do my best to research, learn and/or implement one activity per week, that will help reduce my family's carbon footprint. When I informed my family, my eldest asked "are we going to be Amish...are we going to be hippies? My answers, of course, were "no" and "no", but it did make me think there may be a lot of people who believe "going green" is like that. That is, doing without and hugging trees. I also don't want to go broke being kind to our environment. I will be seeking out resources that offer reasonably priced goods/supplies so we can make some important changes, but still send the kids to college. I want this to be an enjoyable process, which is why I am calling this blog Going Green Painlessly (be aware, during this journey I will drop any practice that becomes torture!). I'm fairly confident I'll find a nice balance! Wish me luck! Debbie

Sunday, June 3, 2007

Week 10 - HITTIN' THE ROAD

This week I wanted to get away from the garden because it's now unofficially summer and the kids are getting out of school. This is the time of year when we start to take road trips and vacations. It's also the time of year when we tend to add, more than usual, to our pollution and energy problems. This is not where I say we should fore go the family vacation (that would be crazy), but there are some things we can do to limit our vehicles' negative effects on the environment this summer and all year long.
  1. Get your oil and air filter changed. Your car will run more efficiently and therefore use less gas.
  2. Check the air pressure in your tires, since under inflated tires reduce fuel efficiency.
  3. Get a tune-up if needed.
  4. Don't carry a lot of stuff in the trunk. The more you haul, the more gas you will use.

  5. Drive under 60 mph (yikes, that would be hard for me!) and try to drive less often (infinitely easier than driving under 60 mph).
  6. Try not to use your AC, roll down your windows instead. Running your AC in hot weather increases fuel consumption by 20%.

  7. Don't idle your car! According to idealbite.com, "idling for more than 10 seconds produces emissions at almost 2x the rate of normal driving. For post-1970s cars, turning the car off and on again doesn't use extra gas or cause additional wear and tear". Since I'm on this point, we should all try to get a "no idling" policy enacted at our schools. People think nothing of leaving their cars running while they are waiting for their kids (this could be 5, 10, 15+ minutes). Think of all the schools across the country and how much wasted gas and pollution that is. This is an incredibly easy change that can make a big difference. Tell everyone you know!

  8. Use cruise control when you can - you'll get up to 15% better mileage.
  9. Take the bus or train.
  10. Carpool.

  11. If appropriate take your bikes on vacation. Once at your destination you can use "pedal power" to get around. We should all try to use our bikes more. It's great exercise, you save money on gas, and you get to see your neighborhood in a way you never have.

  12. Buy a hybrid car. Not everyone is going to run out and make this change immediately, but the next time a car purchase comes up, consider it. More companies are starting to manufacture them so they will be readily available and you will have more options in terms of what kind of vehicle you can buy. According to stopglobalwarming.org, the average driver could save 16,000 lbs. of CO2 and $3,750 per year driving a hybrid. If you would like more information about hybrid cars you can visit hybridcars.com.

  13. If you're not ready to go the hybrid route, at least purchase a fuel efficient car.

  14. Have a plan when you run errands. If I have to go into town, I make a list of all the things I need to do and the places I need to go so I get them done in one trip.
  15. Walk when you can.

These are just basic suggestions all of us can do. If we maintain our vehicles, we get more efficient performance. If we are aware, we can reduce how often we use them. We'll help the environment and we'll help our wallets. What do we have to lose except maybe a few pounds?

No comments: