An Inconvenient Truth. I haven't seen it yet, but all the press about global warming (whether you believe the stats or not), got me thinking about what I do to help our environment. I'm ashamed to say, not much! Although I'm a "nature girl" my environmental activism has been limited to teaching my children to respect the earth and walking around the house turning off lights others have left on. I CAN DO BETTER! So, for the next year (starting April 1/07), I will do my best to research, learn and/or implement one activity per week, that will help reduce my family's carbon footprint. When I informed my family, my eldest asked "are we going to be Amish...are we going to be hippies? My answers, of course, were "no" and "no", but it did make me think there may be a lot of people who believe "going green" is like that. That is, doing without and hugging trees. I also don't want to go broke being kind to our environment. I will be seeking out resources that offer reasonably priced goods/supplies so we can make some important changes, but still send the kids to college. I want this to be an enjoyable process, which is why I am calling this blog Going Green Painlessly (be aware, during this journey I will drop any practice that becomes torture!). I'm fairly confident I'll find a nice balance! Wish me luck! Debbie

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Week 21 - SUPER HOUSE PLANTS

We already know one way to save energy is to make our homes air tight so heat or air conditioning can’t escape. We save money and power, but being sealed up does come at a cost - greater indoor air pollution. In many homes, indoor air quality is much worse than the quality of air outdoors. As a matter of fact the EPA claims that in general, indoor air is four to five times more polluted than outdoor air. This isn’t difficult to believe when you consider all the toxins we introduce from cleaners alone (hopefully less so, now that we’ve cut back on our use of toxic products, right? - see post from Week 3). Add to that what we track in from outdoors, our pets, carpeting, paint, dust from our heating/cooling systems, artificial air fresheners, fire places etc. and it’s a wonder more of us do not suffer from allergies and asthma.

But there is something we can do to improve our indoor environment and in turn our health. This "something" is economical, enhances our home, and is environmentally safe. We can purchase plants! Dr. B.C. Wolverton (of NASA) writes in his book
How to Grow Fresh Air “while plants can't cure major indoor pollution problems on their own, they are an ideal antidote to the minor contamination introduced into our indoor environments through everyday household products and building materials. Plants produce oxygen, add precious moisture and remove toxins from the air through the tiny openings in their leaves. In fact, as few as 15 houseplants in an average-size home can offer a significant reduction in the number of indoor contaminants“. Fifteen plants?! To be clear it’s fifteen plants in a 1,800 square foot home, which really isn‘t that many, but for me I’m thinkin’ that’s a miniature forest! I can barely keep three indoor plants alive!

So what else can this miniature forest do for us? The website houseofplants.co.uk provides the following list. Plants,

· Absorb harmful substances
· Filter dust and dirt from the environment
· Dampen sound levels
· Reduce stress levels
· Increase humidity levels
· Have a cooling effect
· Lift general mood, and
· Emit oxygen refreshing air

Although all plants can be beneficial there are 10 specific plants which are rated for their environmental benefits (interpreted from NASA studies and NIGZ lists). These plants have been selected according to how easy they can be grown and maintained, resistance to pests, efficiency at removing chemical vapors, and transpiration rates.

  1. Areca Palm
  2. Lady Palm
  3. Zamioculcas zamifolia
  4. Philodendron
  5. Miniature Date Palm
  6. Peace Lilly
  7. Dracaena
  8. Boston Fern
  9. Ficus
  10. Rubber Plant
Additionally,

Spider Plant, Gerbera Daisy, Bamboo Palm, Mass Cane, Weeping Fig, Golden Pothos, Aloe Vera, Mini-Schefflera, Peperomia, Corn Plant and Mother-In Law’s Tongue, have also been shown to remove some indoor air pollution.

There are a lot of researchers that believe 15 plants is not enough to change indoor air quality. They feel the number of plants necessary would be totally impractical. But there are many others that believe the results are clear. Even if it turns out house plants are not the super air purifiers we hope they are, maybe adding them to the list of things we are already doing, like using less toxic cleaners and removing our shoes while indoors will make our environment all the more comfortable. Really, what harm can they do? This is an easy win-win!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.