An Inconvenient Truth. I haven't seen it yet, but all the press about global warming (whether you believe the stats or not), got me thinking about what I do to help our environment. I'm ashamed to say, not much! Although I'm a "nature girl" my environmental activism has been limited to teaching my children to respect the earth and walking around the house turning off lights others have left on. I CAN DO BETTER! So, for the next year (starting April 1/07), I will do my best to research, learn and/or implement one activity per week, that will help reduce my family's carbon footprint. When I informed my family, my eldest asked "are we going to be Amish...are we going to be hippies? My answers, of course, were "no" and "no", but it did make me think there may be a lot of people who believe "going green" is like that. That is, doing without and hugging trees. I also don't want to go broke being kind to our environment. I will be seeking out resources that offer reasonably priced goods/supplies so we can make some important changes, but still send the kids to college. I want this to be an enjoyable process, which is why I am calling this blog Going Green Painlessly (be aware, during this journey I will drop any practice that becomes torture!). I'm fairly confident I'll find a nice balance! Wish me luck! Debbie

Sunday, October 7, 2007

Week 28 - TAKE IT OUTDOORS!

Here we are in the first week of October and we are experiencing atypical summer like temperatures. I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to be hot anymore. I want to wear a sweater. In fact, snow would not bother me! These temps cause me to think about how the hazy, hot and humid days of summer can make working out difficult and push many people indoors to seek out the A/C. Any day now we are going to be able to take our workouts back outdoors without trying to cram them in at the coolest parts of the day (read: prior to 7:00 am).

There are many options for outdoor physical fitness:
  1. running
  2. walking
  3. hiking
  4. bike riding
  5. rollerblading
  6. stadium running
  7. fitness trails
  8. sports: basketball, baseball, soccer, tennis
  9. playing games with your kids.
  10. taking your yoga or pilates practice outside. And so on.

Outdoor workouts also have several benefits:

  1. fresh air
  2. natural light
  3. clears the mind
  4. boosts your immune system
  5. it’s more fun!
  6. stimulates the endorphins
  7. focuses the mind and body
  8. it's more challenging which means you work harder and in turn burn more calories
  9. it's environmentally friendly

How is it environmentally friendly? Well there are many ways, least of which is the wonderful opportunity for learning when you take your kids along.

Consider the following:

  1. The last thing you want to do is DRIVE to the gym to run/walk on the treadmill (run by electricity) or ride the stationary bike (also run by electricity). You can start your workout by opening your front door. Walk, run or bike directly from your home. You do not have to waste gas to get to the gym, where you will then waste electricity on cardio equipment.
  2. If you are heading to the gym to lift or attend a class or you want to hit a fitness trail at a neighborhood park, make getting there part of your workout and ride your bike (or walk, run).
  3. Unless you live extremely close to state, national or local parks/game lands/trails, you will likely have to drive there in order to hike. Take along as many people as you can in one vehicle! Remember to bring out anything you take into the area and always stay on the trails.
  4. I do not belong to a gym. I have lots of “portable” equipment at home. When it’s comfortable out, I set up a circuit with weights, a step, a jump rope, the stability ball, mats, etc. I will go through the circuit a certain number of times or for 45 - 60 minutes. It’s hard work, fun, time flies by and I haven’t wasted gas, electricity or time.

Once you start spending your workout time outdoors, it will be tough to head back inside. So why do it? I laugh when people say its cold, or it’s dark! Maybe it’s because I am a Canadian girl, but I just think that’s why we have clothing. So many people hate the winter and suffer from seasonal affective disorder; it’s because people act like bears! Get out there! There are so many fun winter sports you can participate in which would make the season more enjoyable. Try it this winter and I promise you will feel happier. Find a place to skate. Load up one vehicle and go skiing. Purchase some inexpensive snow shoes or cross country skis and you can head to a local park or school to get some much needed exercise at this typically gluttonous time of year (again, you don’t necessarily have to drive there).

Obviously, it does get dark earlier, so use common sense. If you are on or near roads, you need to wear something reflective. If safety is a concern, buddy up. Focus on the fact you will be seeing your neighborhood in a new way (maybe a peaceful way) and that can be refreshing!

The last thing I want to say is likely the most important. Given our current environmental crisis and the deplorably high rate of obesity in this nation (particularly in our children), we need to take advantage of the gifts we are given to combat these problems. Luck is on our side since we can “kill two birds with one stone”. The key is we must lead by example. First, get your families up and outside playing and having fun. If your kids see you getting your exercise (especially if you are playing with them), there is a greater chance they will make exercise part of their lifestyle. Secondly, if you make the effort to take your children outdoors to enjoy the natural beauty, which surrounds them, you are creating future environmentalists and green living adults. You are doing so by providing them with the opportunity to develop a respect and love for the earth. They will care more about nature when they have spent time enjoying it. They will want to take care of nature because it will no longer be just an abstract idea; it will be something they will want THEIR children to experience and enjoy! Now what could be better than that?

No comments: