An Inconvenient Truth. I haven't seen it yet, but all the press about global warming (whether you believe the stats or not), got me thinking about what I do to help our environment. I'm ashamed to say, not much! Although I'm a "nature girl" my environmental activism has been limited to teaching my children to respect the earth and walking around the house turning off lights others have left on. I CAN DO BETTER! So, for the next year (starting April 1/07), I will do my best to research, learn and/or implement one activity per week, that will help reduce my family's carbon footprint. When I informed my family, my eldest asked "are we going to be Amish...are we going to be hippies? My answers, of course, were "no" and "no", but it did make me think there may be a lot of people who believe "going green" is like that. That is, doing without and hugging trees. I also don't want to go broke being kind to our environment. I will be seeking out resources that offer reasonably priced goods/supplies so we can make some important changes, but still send the kids to college. I want this to be an enjoyable process, which is why I am calling this blog Going Green Painlessly (be aware, during this journey I will drop any practice that becomes torture!). I'm fairly confident I'll find a nice balance! Wish me luck! Debbie

Monday, November 19, 2007

Week 34 - Real vs. Fake

This week is Thanksgiving and the weekend to follow is a huge Christmas tree buying time so I thought I should address the various choices we have in terms of what kind of tree to buy and the environmental impact of each.

Artificial Trees

The Pros
  1. They are fire- retardant.
  2. They can be used for years (although thegreenguide.com claims people throw away their artificial trees after only 6 years of use).

The Cons

  1. The trees are made from polyvinyl chloride (PVC) which produces cancer-causing dioxin during both their manufacture and incineration.
  2. They also contain lead.
  3. Many are manufactured in China.
  4. They travel a long distance.

Fresh Cut Trees

The Pros

  1. Although farmers may clear land for tree farms, the land is still being used for farming (instead of being developed into say, the next strip mall).
  2. Although trees are being cut down, they are continually being replaced; they are a renewable resource.
  3. Some claim the trees do not provide animal habitats, but I have seen plenty of bird nests at the farm we get our trees, so I beg to differ.
  4. The trees can be mulched after Christmas.

The Cons

  1. Land is sometimes cleared in order to plant the trees.
  2. Herbicides are used in the care of the trees.

Other Things to Keep in Mind

  1. If you can find one, buy an organic tree.
  2. Buy from a local grower so you leave a smaller carbon footprint (an actual farm versus a tree lot).
  3. This one has nothing to do with the environment, but taking your family to a tree farm to select the tree and cut it down, is a wonderful holiday tradition.

Potted Live Trees (perhaps the best choice)

The Pros

  1. Live trees can be planted outdoors after Christmas. If you don’t have space, ask a friend if they would like it or check with a local park.
  2. They are a renewable resource.
  3. Even if it dies, it can still be mulched.

The Cons

  1. Land is sometimes cleared in order to plant the trees.
  2. Herbicides are used in the care of the trees.
  3. Potted trees are more expensive.

Keep these ideas in mind when purchasing your Christmas tree and make the choice that’s best for your family. If you prefer an artificial tree (say someone has allergies), use it forever and pass it on to the next generation. If you choose a fresh cut tree, recycle it. If you opt for a live tree, plant it or mulch it if it doesn’t “make it“. Whatever you choose, just get the most out of it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Debbie! I really enjoyed your post. Personally I love real Christmas Trees for the tradition and fragrance but I have become more and more aware about the dangerous nature of many of our imported goods from China.

Fake trees use a ton of petroleum to produce and ship here and they end up in the landfills either way after 3-5 years typically. Once there they leech lead and pvc into the ground.

I for on plan on buying my Christmas Tree here in the USA and ONLINE!! Yes thats right...I found a company called www.premiumchristmastree.com thats sells premium grade real Christmas tree delivered to you door.

Hey if you can buy a car online why not support the American economy and the environment by buying a real tree online.

Unknown said...

Although I love to go to the Christmas Tree Farm to get the real one, I think I like the potted trees the best. I guess I could re-plant the 6-foot tree in my backyard and see if it lives through the year.