An Inconvenient Truth. I haven't seen it yet, but all the press about global warming (whether you believe the stats or not), got me thinking about what I do to help our environment. I'm ashamed to say, not much! Although I'm a "nature girl" my environmental activism has been limited to teaching my children to respect the earth and walking around the house turning off lights others have left on. I CAN DO BETTER! So, for the next year (starting April 1/07), I will do my best to research, learn and/or implement one activity per week, that will help reduce my family's carbon footprint. When I informed my family, my eldest asked "are we going to be Amish...are we going to be hippies? My answers, of course, were "no" and "no", but it did make me think there may be a lot of people who believe "going green" is like that. That is, doing without and hugging trees. I also don't want to go broke being kind to our environment. I will be seeking out resources that offer reasonably priced goods/supplies so we can make some important changes, but still send the kids to college. I want this to be an enjoyable process, which is why I am calling this blog Going Green Painlessly (be aware, during this journey I will drop any practice that becomes torture!). I'm fairly confident I'll find a nice balance! Wish me luck! Debbie

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Week 44 - Pass it On!

Over the past several months I have made some suggestions on how to invoke both environmental awareness and interest in our kids. I’ve mentioned ideas like, planning to do something as a family for Earth Day, giving Christmas gifts like books and movies that show the importance of protecting our environment, gardening with kids etc. I now want to provide some resources for kids that want to learn more on their own and for those that want some concrete ways in which they as kids can help our planet.

The easiest way for kids to learn more is for them to surf the web. There are a plethora of websites just for them. They provide information in fun ways that may include games, puzzles, projects, and so on. Adults can learn a lot too, so give them a try!

1. Nature Challenge for Kids

David Suzuki, an environmentalist (a fellow Canadian), has been around it seems forever. He was so far ahead of his time. I remember watching him as a kid. At his website www.davidsuzuki.org/kids, he offers 10 fun and easy ways kids can help the environment. They include things like going meatless once a week and using “kid power” to get around. There’s also a checklist kids can print off, to keep track of how they are doing.

2. EcoKids Online

This is Earth Day Canada’s environmental education program for kids. Their website includes interactive games, activities and an eco-calendar with trivia, riddles and other information. Visit them at ecokids.earthday.ca.

3. Environment Canada Kids Page

This site (www.ec.gc.ca/EnviroZine) by Natural Resources Canada has an “envirozine” with a lot of information. One neat thing I found on is a game called Pathways & Pitfalls which can be printed out. You move along the “board” trying to do positives things for the environment (eating locally grown foods), while avoiding environmental pitfalls (running a sprinkler too long).

4. Fun Zone

Fisheries and Oceans Canada offers games, puzzles, coloring pages etc. about, water conservation, aquatic life and oceans. Their best offering accessed through their site at
dfo-mpo.gc.ca is the Big Blue Bus. It is an interactive website with neat things for kids of all ages to do.

5. Tunza

Tunza (www.unep.org/Tunza) is the United Nations Environment Programme. It has separate sections for children and youth. I love the ‘Story time’ link in the children’s section. It has 9 full text story books in Adobe format. The pictures are wonderful!

6. Children of the Earth

This site can be found at childrenoftheearth.org. It has information on plants and animals; info from Native Peoples; you can read stories written by other kids and pictures drawn by kids about the planet. There is a lot!

If you are so inclined, you can also help this non-profit by making your Amazon.com purchase through their website. It costs you nothing (there is no difference in what you pay), but you will be donating about 5% of your purchase price to them.

7. Field Trip Earth

Fieldtripearth.org is a wildlife conservation website. You can click on a particular animal or select a field trip and you begin a journey to discover all there is to know about that animal. This site is probably better for older kids (10 and up) as there is a lot of reading, but it also offers plenty of pictures too.


8. Treetures

This website is definitely for little kids. It has characters with names like Woody, Humus, and Mama Greenleaf. The Treetures (tiny tree friends) teach kids about trees, tree care and tree planting. Visit them at treetures.com

9. Rodale Institute

The Rodale Institute offers kidsregen.org, which is a very comprehensive website. There mission: “To empower children to make healthy choices for the environment and for themselves“. It has a ton of stuff. Information about food, fitness, gardening, world news… More importantly it reaches everyone: kids, adults, parents, families, and teachers. It’s a terrific site!

10. Climate Change

This is the EPA’s site for kids (epa.gov/climatechange/kids). It explains climate change, weather, and the green house effect. It also offers games and the opportunity to be a climate detective. It’s a nice comprehensive site.

11. The Green Squad

This website by the NRDC (www.nrdc.org/greensquad) encourages older kids to try and make their school environment a healthier place. This is a great site that will really get those activist kids in gear, but providing them with concrete ways to take action. I love how the site outlines the steps kids can take right up to ways to approach school officials.

As you can see there is no shortage of websites to help get your kids interested and excited about the environment. For an even larger list (which includes some of what I have here) follow this link: eartheasy.com/article_enviro_sites_kids.html.
I have only checked out what I have listed above, so you may want to visit the other sites before your kids do. The most important thing is to share what you are learning with your kids, so they can grow passionate about the environment and pass it on to their children. Now that’s a legacy I would love to leave!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.