An Inconvenient Truth. I haven't seen it yet, but all the press about global warming (whether you believe the stats or not), got me thinking about what I do to help our environment. I'm ashamed to say, not much! Although I'm a "nature girl" my environmental activism has been limited to teaching my children to respect the earth and walking around the house turning off lights others have left on. I CAN DO BETTER! So, for the next year (starting April 1/07), I will do my best to research, learn and/or implement one activity per week, that will help reduce my family's carbon footprint. When I informed my family, my eldest asked "are we going to be Amish...are we going to be hippies? My answers, of course, were "no" and "no", but it did make me think there may be a lot of people who believe "going green" is like that. That is, doing without and hugging trees. I also don't want to go broke being kind to our environment. I will be seeking out resources that offer reasonably priced goods/supplies so we can make some important changes, but still send the kids to college. I want this to be an enjoyable process, which is why I am calling this blog Going Green Painlessly (be aware, during this journey I will drop any practice that becomes torture!). I'm fairly confident I'll find a nice balance! Wish me luck! Debbie

Saturday, March 8, 2008

Week 50 - The 3Rs of Sports Equipment

We are now into March and the spring athletic season if off and running. Kids have begun practice and parents are digging deep to ensure their children have the newest and coolest sports equipment. Before you go out and drop a ridiculous amount of money on new equipment, consider swapping or purchasing used equipment. That's right. Once again, I'm talking about the 3 Rs: reduce, reuse and recycle.

The Why

There are several reasons to consider swapping or purchasing used equipment.
  • It's cheaper (and the items generally look 'almost new' or better).
  • It keeps stuff out of landfills
  • It reduces the number of resources used to manufacture and transport items.

The How

1. Try a No Cost Exchange (like Freecycle.org)

From their website: The Freecycle Network™ is made up of 4,281 groups with 4,622,000 members across the globe. It's a grassroots and entirely nonprofit movement of people who are giving (& getting) stuff for free in their own towns.

They have everything. Go to their site and sign-up (it's free). You can then browse by county or town. If your community doesn't have a group, start one!

Freecycle's purpose is to keep stuff out of the landfill and to help reduce consumption.

Another notable exchange site is Craigslist.com.

2. Purchase Used Sports Equipment

There are a number of ways to purchase used equipment.

Play it Again Sports: This is a nationwide used sports equipment chain. Visit their website at playitagainsports.com to locate one in your area. Before you go, make a phone call to see if they have what you're looking for.

EBay (ebay.com): This online auction site offers everything you can imagine. You can choose to bid on items, or buy them outright.

Recycling Sports (recyclingsports.com): Online classifieds for used sports equipment. According to their site: Sellers are charged a $1.00 listing fee for posting and a closing fee of 2% of the sales price when the item is purchased. Visit the site for details.

Garage Sales: Spring not only brings sports, it also brings garage sales. Obviously you won't be able to anticipate what you may find, but keep an eye out anyway.

Swap or Give Your Stuff to Friends: We all have friends with kids at various stages of growth. Swap equipment with them just like you would clothes. If you can't swap, give your stuff to someone you know. You may not get equipment you need right now, but its great karma and you may get something else you need in the future.

Donate: If you don't have friends that can use your equipment, donate your items to Boys/Girls Clubs, after school programs, coaches or Goodwill.

3. Still Not on Board?

If you still are not convinced that used equipment is the way to go, ask yourself these questions:

How old is my kid and is s/he still growing?

Keep in mind your child may only be using a particular piece of equipment for one season (if you're lucky - think shoes). Why spend so much on brand new. Help the environment and your wallet by borrowing or buying previously owned.

Is this the first time my child is trying a sport or does my kid change sports at the drop of a hat?

If your child hasn't made a commitment to a sport, don't commit with your cash or environmental resources.

Is it important to ME or my child if something is brand new and/or a particular brand?

Does your five year old really need brand new Nike cleats? That's a purchase parents make for themselves.

We often want to put the affects of branding off on the kids ("they just have to have that name brand"), but it's often our own ideas of giving our children the very "best" that motivates us. I would rather have my kids understand everything is not disposable; that when we have something, we should use it up and not cast it aside because something supposedly better has come along. That way of thinking has put us in this environmental crisis.

I understand when our kids get older (or if our child honestly shows exceptional talent in a sport), it gets more difficult. But try not to assume what your child's response to previously owned equipment will be. Instead, use it as a learning opportunity and just maybe they’ll surprise you!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.