An Inconvenient Truth. I haven't seen it yet, but all the press about global warming (whether you believe the stats or not), got me thinking about what I do to help our environment. I'm ashamed to say, not much! Although I'm a "nature girl" my environmental activism has been limited to teaching my children to respect the earth and walking around the house turning off lights others have left on. I CAN DO BETTER! So, for the next year (starting April 1/07), I will do my best to research, learn and/or implement one activity per week, that will help reduce my family's carbon footprint. When I informed my family, my eldest asked "are we going to be Amish...are we going to be hippies? My answers, of course, were "no" and "no", but it did make me think there may be a lot of people who believe "going green" is like that. That is, doing without and hugging trees. I also don't want to go broke being kind to our environment. I will be seeking out resources that offer reasonably priced goods/supplies so we can make some important changes, but still send the kids to college. I want this to be an enjoyable process, which is why I am calling this blog Going Green Painlessly (be aware, during this journey I will drop any practice that becomes torture!). I'm fairly confident I'll find a nice balance! Wish me luck! Debbie

Sunday, March 23, 2008

Week 52 - Spread the Word!!

We made it! Fifty two weeks of environmentally friendly ideas, topics and ways to take action.

Key Lessons Learned

  1. We kind of go through life with blinders on. Once you choose to take a look, it's apparent we can make small changes that have a big impact. Which leads me to...

  2. Living in a more environmentally friendly way is easy once you know you have options. Doing research to discover those options was one of my favorite things about going green and writing this blog.

  3. It's possible to make changes that aren't going to make your wallet suffer. If you remember from my introduction, I wasn't going to commit to things that were ridiculously priced; changes had to stay within my budget, and for the most part they did.

Changes with Big Impact

I made a lot of changes in how my family lives. The following made a difference in a big way:

  1. Recycling - this is likely the change that takes the most time, because it's ongoing. But going to the Recycling Center a few times a month isn't a big deal. It was immediate gratification. I could see how much less we were sending to the landfill.

  2. Reusable Bags - this is one of my favorites. A couple months after I purchased my bags, the grocery stores in town started selling them. I have been asked about them often and store clerks have expressed how they wish more people would use them (younger clerks in particular). I used to have plastic bags exploding from my pantry; now I currently have one.

  3. Reusable Containers for Lunches - my kids' lunches are now almost waste free. We purchased containers for them to use over and over. Obviously we have to wash them between uses, but it's a small price to pay.

What Now?

One thing I came to realize was change takes time. There were different things I wanted to do but couldn't fit them in when I wrote about them. Take composting for example. I already have the compost bin. I just have to do some repairs to it, buy a compost pail for my kitchen and start adding to it. I will try to have this done by Spring.

So that's my plan. I will go back to see what changes I haven't set into motion and try to accomplish them. I encourage you, to do the same.

One Last Thought

For the last few weeks I have been thinking about how I should end this blog; thinking about what my final suggestion for helping the environment should be. Here it is: start an eco-conversation everywhere you go. You don't have to take it to the extreme and say, write a blog about it and you don't have to "hit people over the head" either. When opportunities present themselves, share what you know (and at this point you know a lot). If you don't feel comfortable talking, share this blog (it will still be here, I just won't be adding to it).


To close, I would just like to say thank you for going on this journey with me. I hope it has been as interesting, informative and persuasive for you, as it has been for me!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent work on this blog, It's great to see your enthusiasm! Reusable bags do make a big difference. If you happen to accidentally use a plastic bag, forgot your reusable bags, or just have a big pile of plastic bags that you are wondering what to do with, you can turn them in at most grocery stores. Look in the can redemption area, or ask customer service if you can't find the container. If they don't have a receptacle (which they should), you can call your local transfer/recycling station and they can tell you where to bring them. Again, great work on this blog!

Anonymous said...

I love your ideas!
Love, Willow your daughter XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

actually i really like your style it is very creative....

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Shreyas said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Dear Going Green Painlessly,

I just have a quick question for you but couldn't find an email so had to resort to this. I am an environmental blogger. Please email me back at barbaraobrien@maacenter.org when you get a chance. Thanks.

Barbara