An Inconvenient Truth. I haven't seen it yet, but all the press about global warming (whether you believe the stats or not), got me thinking about what I do to help our environment. I'm ashamed to say, not much! Although I'm a "nature girl" my environmental activism has been limited to teaching my children to respect the earth and walking around the house turning off lights others have left on. I CAN DO BETTER! So, for the next year (starting April 1/07), I will do my best to research, learn and/or implement one activity per week, that will help reduce my family's carbon footprint. When I informed my family, my eldest asked "are we going to be Amish...are we going to be hippies? My answers, of course, were "no" and "no", but it did make me think there may be a lot of people who believe "going green" is like that. That is, doing without and hugging trees. I also don't want to go broke being kind to our environment. I will be seeking out resources that offer reasonably priced goods/supplies so we can make some important changes, but still send the kids to college. I want this to be an enjoyable process, which is why I am calling this blog Going Green Painlessly (be aware, during this journey I will drop any practice that becomes torture!). I'm fairly confident I'll find a nice balance! Wish me luck! Debbie

Sunday, December 2, 2007

Week 36 - GIVING GREEN

Ti's the season of giving and receiving, so I thought I should discuss the various ways we can be kinder to the environment while doing so. Let’s begin with ‘receiving’.

RECEIVING

The most obvious way to help the environment is to ask for nothing. Consider if you really need more stuff. This isn’t as difficult as it sounds if you focus on the true meaning of the season. When my family asks me what I want for Christmas, I always say nothing. Although there have been years when my husband and I have stuck to that ‘deal‘, I usually do get something. Nevertheless, the truth is, I mean what I say. Maybe in time my family will believe I really just want them to enjoy the day.

If you do want gifts, ask for things like:

  1. Tickets to the theatre, the movies or a sporting event. This limits packaging and gives you something you will use.
  2. Ask that a donation be made to your favorite charity. This has zero packaging and helps others.
  3. Alcohol. A nice bottle of wine or liquor is perfect. It definitely won’t go to waste and the packaging is recyclable.

GIVING

‘Giving’ is the area we need to work on. Most of us are generous and feel we are showing our love for our families and friends when we go overboard with the gift giving. This is especially easy to do with kids. On our eldest child’s first Christmas (when she was aware something special was happening), I bought so much stuff she was overwhelmed; she just wanted to play with the first thing she opened. Her glazed look made it clear I had gone crazy. So now, my kids receive three gifts each and things feel just right. We need to show restraint and realize we can show our love in other ways. Here are some ideas to keep in mind this holiday season:

  1. Ask the person what they want and then GET it (it's not important if you like it or think it's a good gift). No fuss, no muss, no waste!
  2. Again, as with 'receiving', give gifts like tickets to an event.
  3. Make a donation in someone’s name.
  4. Give gift cards. They allow a person to choose what they want, again reducing waste.
  5. You may think it tacky, but give money. Kids love it (and adults do too)! If you can't go the cash route, buy bonds or contribute to a college fund.
  6. Buy memberships to organizations like a local zoo, aquarium, museum, gallery or national park.
  7. Adopt an animal through a zoo or the World Wildlife Fund for the kids on your list.
  8. Give the gift of a housekeeping service.
  9. Give edible items.
  10. Give alcohol.
  11. Give the gift of knowledge by giving books, movies or documentaries about the environment (or any other topic they may be interested in).
  12. Buy gifts with minimal packaging.
  13. Shop from your computer.
  14. When making on-line purchases, have items shipped directly to the gift recipient. This reduces 'double shipping'.
  15. Do not ask for boxes. Wrap gifts in reusable containers.
  16. Try to support businesses that:
  • Are local
  • Offer sustainable products
  • Are organic
  • Don’t test on animals
  • Give a portion of their profits to charities

Last and certainly not least (in fact, I think it's the most important), give the gift of your time.

  • Try coupons for babysitting.
  • A home cooked meal.
  • If someone has just moved into a new home - help him or her paint or decorate.
  • Offer to walk their dog.
  • House sit during their next trip.
  • Commit to have sit down meals with your kids.
  • Commit to monthly meals with your extended family.

We are always rushing around. The days blend into each other and we wonder where has time gone? This holiday season, stop! Look at what you have on your to do list and ask, is it really necessary. When the kids are grown-ups, will they remember a particular ‘item’ you bought them, or will they remember the time you spent baking cookies, playing or just ‘being’ together? By keeping it simple, we not only work wonders for the environment, but for our sanity and families too!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.