An Inconvenient Truth. I haven't seen it yet, but all the press about global warming (whether you believe the stats or not), got me thinking about what I do to help our environment. I'm ashamed to say, not much! Although I'm a "nature girl" my environmental activism has been limited to teaching my children to respect the earth and walking around the house turning off lights others have left on. I CAN DO BETTER! So, for the next year (starting April 1/07), I will do my best to research, learn and/or implement one activity per week, that will help reduce my family's carbon footprint. When I informed my family, my eldest asked "are we going to be Amish...are we going to be hippies? My answers, of course, were "no" and "no", but it did make me think there may be a lot of people who believe "going green" is like that. That is, doing without and hugging trees. I also don't want to go broke being kind to our environment. I will be seeking out resources that offer reasonably priced goods/supplies so we can make some important changes, but still send the kids to college. I want this to be an enjoyable process, which is why I am calling this blog Going Green Painlessly (be aware, during this journey I will drop any practice that becomes torture!). I'm fairly confident I'll find a nice balance! Wish me luck! Debbie

Sunday, December 30, 2007

Week 40 - New Year Resolutions

This week’s post is short and sweet:

Resolve to make more “green” changes to your lifestyle for 2008!

It’s simple. Just go through the archives (listed on the right side of the screen; point and click), and commit to making just one or two more changes you have not yet been able to do. I know there are topics I have covered over the past 40 weeks that I have not yet implemented, so I will try to “catch-up” on the ones I have missed.

The bonus here is, unlike traditional resolutions (losing weight, quitting smoking, drinking less), even short-lived success can benefit the environment and make you feel good about yourself! Give it a try!

Have a healthy, happy and safe 2008!

No comments: