An Inconvenient Truth. I haven't seen it yet, but all the press about global warming (whether you believe the stats or not), got me thinking about what I do to help our environment. I'm ashamed to say, not much! Although I'm a "nature girl" my environmental activism has been limited to teaching my children to respect the earth and walking around the house turning off lights others have left on. I CAN DO BETTER! So, for the next year (starting April 1/07), I will do my best to research, learn and/or implement one activity per week, that will help reduce my family's carbon footprint. When I informed my family, my eldest asked "are we going to be Amish...are we going to be hippies? My answers, of course, were "no" and "no", but it did make me think there may be a lot of people who believe "going green" is like that. That is, doing without and hugging trees. I also don't want to go broke being kind to our environment. I will be seeking out resources that offer reasonably priced goods/supplies so we can make some important changes, but still send the kids to college. I want this to be an enjoyable process, which is why I am calling this blog Going Green Painlessly (be aware, during this journey I will drop any practice that becomes torture!). I'm fairly confident I'll find a nice balance! Wish me luck! Debbie

Sunday, December 23, 2007

Week 39 - 12 Green Ideas for Christmas

We are just one day and a wake-up from Christmas and I want to gently remind you of a few ways we can help the environment once the pandemonium is over. The following is a list of 12 simple things you can do to stay “green” this week.
  1. When grocery shopping for your holiday gatherings, buy local first and then organic (nice for you, if you don’t have to choose between the two).
  2. Sample some organic or bio-dynamic wine along with your old stand-bys (just in case the former tanks).
  3. Don’t use disposable plates and cutlery for your holiday gatherings.
  4. When you realize you’ve forgotten batteries for some of the toys and electronics, purchase rechargeable. Remember they can be charged hundreds of times and then be recycled (at Best Buy, Home Depot, and Target amongst others).
  5. Save any wrapping paper, gift bags, and ribbons that have not been decimated by your family, for reuse.
  6. Use your Christmas cards for crafts. For example, kids can make ornaments for next year or I’m going to use mine for next year’s gift tags (cut out a shape, punch a hole, slip some of the saved ribbon through if you like, and there you have it).
  7. Recycle any cardboard boxes.
  8. Have your tree mulched.
  9. Assess whether it’s time to recycle your Christmas lights. If so send them out and remember after Christmas is a great time to purchase new LED Christmas lights.
  10. Grind the candy canes that have been on your tree to a powdered sugar consistency and add to hot chocolate, coffee etc.
  11. When you are hitting the after Christmas sales, remember to purchase gift wrap and cards made from recycled paper.
  12. When family and friends ask why you save this, recycle that, buy local/organic, use china instead of paper, tell them. It’s a great opportunity to get them on board!

Have a wonderful Christmas!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.