An Inconvenient Truth. I haven't seen it yet, but all the press about global warming (whether you believe the stats or not), got me thinking about what I do to help our environment. I'm ashamed to say, not much! Although I'm a "nature girl" my environmental activism has been limited to teaching my children to respect the earth and walking around the house turning off lights others have left on. I CAN DO BETTER! So, for the next year (starting April 1/07), I will do my best to research, learn and/or implement one activity per week, that will help reduce my family's carbon footprint. When I informed my family, my eldest asked "are we going to be Amish...are we going to be hippies? My answers, of course, were "no" and "no", but it did make me think there may be a lot of people who believe "going green" is like that. That is, doing without and hugging trees. I also don't want to go broke being kind to our environment. I will be seeking out resources that offer reasonably priced goods/supplies so we can make some important changes, but still send the kids to college. I want this to be an enjoyable process, which is why I am calling this blog Going Green Painlessly (be aware, during this journey I will drop any practice that becomes torture!). I'm fairly confident I'll find a nice balance! Wish me luck! Debbie

Sunday, December 9, 2007

Week 37 - Take Out, Again?!

So here we are in the midst of all the seasonal craziness. We have so much to get done, and feel there is so little time. While we are tearing through our to-do lists, we realize we have forgotten to take something out for dinner! No problem, we’ll pick something up. But wait! Remember what I wrote about a few weeks ago? You know, the fact that the amount of waste we produce at this time of year skyrockets? Well here is an area where we can make less of an impact on the environment by COOKING AT HOME!

I know what you’re thinking. You’re stressed to the max; you’ve got to stay focused if the family wants a “nice” Christmas; something’s gotta give! But I don’t think it should be cooking meals at home and here’s why.

  1. According to idealbite.com more than 15 million tons of polystyrene plastic is produced each year, but less than 1% is recycled.
  2. Styrofoam is made using cancer-causing benzene and the brain toxin styrene.
  3. Most of the take out consumed by Americans is horrible for the body. You need energy. Quality food and a decent night’s sleep is the only way to get it!
  4. You know that holiday weight we hear about and/or experience each year? It’s not just because of the sweets and alcohol. It’s also the continual eating on the go.
  5. Making a home cooked meal will slow you down. You will spend time talking with your family. It will help you relax and remember what’s important.

Here are some ideas to make home cooked meals easier:

  1. Keep it simple. They don’t have to be big productions. A bowl of pasta or soup with salad and bread is enough.
  2. When you are cooking, make enough for at least one more meal.
  3. If you are making a big batch of something, freeze some and than offer a portion to a friend. That would be a much appreciated gift!
  4. Freeze meals so they are ready to go.
  5. Make the crock pot your best friend; nothing could be simpler than putting all the meal ingredients in one pot and letting it cook itself. This Christmas would be a great time to ask for slow cooker recipe books.
  6. Organize friends and have each one make a large quantity of a dish to share.
  7. Plan ahead. You know you and your family have to eat; meals should be at the top of your list.

So what can you do if you decide you can’t cook at home?

  1. BYOContainer. It will reduce waste.
  2. Don’t forget your reusable bag for the food to be packed in.
  3. Ask the business if they have anything other than Styrofoam and suggest they change to something more environmentally friendly.
  4. Say "no" to the extras: plastic cutlery, napkins, salt and pepper packets, condiments.
  5. Say “no” do the umpteenth menu.
  6. Recycle the containers the food comes in.
  7. Recycle cardboard pizza boxes.
  8. Dine in. Enjoy a sit down meal at the restaurant, instead of carting the food home.

You may feel you just can’t think about one more thing; but this is pretty simple. More importantly, making this small change gives us several things to feel good about.

  • You help the environment by reducing waste,
  • You have a better chance at maintaining your weight,
  • You will have more energy to get things done, and
  • You will spend more time engaging with your family, which is what the holiday season is supposed to be about.

Just think of what it will mean to the people that love you when they see how relaxed and happy you look, as opposed to frazzled and grumpy. You will not only be doing a good thing for the earth, but you may actually give the impression you ENJOY creating a “nice” Christmas for your family!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
We Sell It All Dicker and Deal Here Pawnshop said...

I googled for sites that are similar too the one my husband is trying to establish and I found yours. You are a person after my own heart-I own a Party store that also has take out rib meals and we use sooo many take out containers (because the Health Dept requires it) I just cringe. One way I have gotten around this is quite a few of my regulars bring their own containers and I give them a discount. I also reuse the plastic carry out bags (only for non food items) that my regulars donate to our store. They have to be clean, but everyone understands that we have to lessen the footprints on the Earth if for anyone our children.
Good ideas!!
Debb